May 16 2017
Magento – the market-leading eCommerce CMS (Content Management System) is often a default choice when it comes to building your web store. But there is always a difficulty in choosing an appropriate version for your business. To add to the difficulty, the new version of Magento has now given rise to a debate between both the versions. Store owners and e-tailers are wondering if they should upgrade to Magento 2.0 and what additional benefits the new version might entail. So, here’s a concise comparative guide that will help you differentiate between both the version of Magento and its features.
Magento 1 is a powerful and stable platform. It has been around since 2008 and enables users to create feature-rich web stores using its built-in extensions. But over a period of time developers may encounter issues such as slow website performance, mobile-friendliness, limited admin capabilities and other usage concerns. In order to address these issues, the team at Magento released an upgrade version of the platform, Magento 2.
Magento 2, being an enhanced version of Magento, comprises following stellar features:
1. User-friendly approach: Magento 2 boasts of great UX owning to its simplistic and easy to use backend interface. The menu system is grouped by functions: System and eCommerce. All menus (Marketing, Product, Report etc.) required to manage your web store are displayed in a simple, flat menu type and organized in a more user friendly way.
2. Streamlined checkout: The checkout process in Magento 2.x has been simplified to accelerate checkout navigation. You can customize the checkout and reduce the steps from default six-steps in Magento 1 to a one-page checkout. In additon, Magento 2.x has been designed to reduce cart abandonment and increase conversions. With one-step checkout feature, shoppers can now purchase items and pay funds online faster while saving their time.
3. Performance enhancement: Magento 2.x features a modular code base that enables easier customization, faster time-to-market and deployment flexibility to public or private cloud. It pre-integrates Varnish to cache page content for faster performance and optimizes code and images to load speedily. As per an estimate, Magento 2 can load sites approximately 20% faster than Magento 1.x.
4. Intuitive shopping experience: Magento 2.x’s new responsive design reference themes enable faster creation of sites that are sales-oriented. Products can be shared in a more immersive way through integrated videos. Their checkout process is also enhanced and easily customizable to improve conversion by minimizing user input and required information. Again, the one-click account creation makes it convenient for customers to shop with minimum hassle.
5. Improved admin interface: One of the issues users face with Magento 1 is the complicated admin panel. The new admin panel in Magento 2 is self-explanatory. It offers a streamlined, consumer-like interface which allows you to accomplish routine tasks in no time. even the newbies can quickly learn It and track sales on-the-go.
Users can even customize the admin interface and save views to ensure quick access to mission-critical information. Quick product creation and setup further ensures 4x faster creation of product catalogs.
6. More mobile-friendly: Over 20% of Google searches (including 50% of local searches) are performed through a mobile or tablet device. Magento 2 takes mobile responsiveness to a whole new level and offers a vast array of responsive and SEO-friendly themes.
In conclusion, Magento 2 is definitely feature-packed and highly advanced compared to Magento 1.0. The modular architecture reduces the complexity and maintenance costs and future-proofs your investment by simplifying upgrades. Businesses should weigh the pros and cons before upgrading to Magento 2. What is your take on both versions of Magento store & website development? Let us know in the comments section below.